75 years of combined experience. Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. Instantly connect with our office (718) 414-6757
Serving all of Queens and Nassau
Learn why experience matters. Hire an aggressive and compassionate firm. Learn what makes us different and how we go the extra mile for our clients.

Serving all of New York. Contact us today.

Queens Child Support Modifications Queens

Getting Your Child Support Order Changed in New York

After the court issues your child support, it is very possible that your circumstances may drastically change, potentially altering your need for support or your ability to pay. For example, you could become disabled, which could cause you to be unable to work and pay the full amount of child support that is due each month. Your child might also have changes in his or her needs, such as the development of a medical condition, that call for more child support. In cases such as these, you will need to petition for a modification of child support.

The firm, Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P., is well-equipped with dedicated Queens family law attorneys who could help you increase your chances of getting your court order changed as needed.

How do I get my child support order modified?

The court will usually only make a change to a child support order if there are substantial changes in circumstances. Either parent can petition for a modification of child support. As outlined by the New York State Unified Court System, the parent must file a petition for modification that includes an explanation of why he or she wants the change. The other parent must be served with the petition and summons. Next, a hearing is held in the parent's local family court before the final decision is made.

Under recent changes to the law, a child support order entered on or after Oct. 13, 2010 becomes eligible for modification when:

  • Three years have passed since the order was entered, last changed or adjusted; or
  • Either parent's gross income has changed by 15% or more since the order was entered, last changed or adjusted.

Importance of Working with a Queens Family Lawyer

If you are a paying parent who has child support demands that are impossible for you to comply with, it is vital that you get the necessary legal help for getting your custody order changed. By failing to comply with the existing order, you can end up facing serious repercussions for violating a court order. Furthermore, if you are a custodial parent, a strong family law attorney can potentially help you get increased support so that your child's needs can be met—considering that the other parent is actually able to pay.

The legal team at Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. works hard for its clients, helping them to present the appropriate evidence to the court that shows their needs for modification. The law firm handles many different types of family law matters for individuals in Queens and the entire New York metropolitan area. Contact the firm today!

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Attorney Web Design
Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. - Queens Divorce Attorney
Located at 214-08 41st Avenue Bayside, NY 11361. View Map
Phone: (718) 414-6757 | Local Phone: (718) 229-1904.
Find us on FaceBook Follow us on Twitter View our Google+ Profile Get Linked in with Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. View our Avvo Profile