75 years of combined experience. Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. Instantly connect with our office (718) 414-6757
Serving all of Queens and Nassau
Learn why experience matters. Hire an aggressive and compassionate firm. Learn what makes us different and how we go the extra mile for our clients.

Serving all of New York. Contact us today.

Modification of Alimony in Queens

How do I get my spousal maintenance order changed?

When married couples get divorced, one spouse is often ordered to pay alimony to the other spouse after the divorce is completed. Alimony is also referred to as spousal support or spousal maintenance. These are monthly payments to help the other individual maintain the standard of living that occurred during the marriage, particularly when one of the spouses is unable to fully support himself or herself.

It is important to remember, however, that circumstances change. Sometimes, there comes a point when the alimony recipient is no longer in true need of that support, or at least not for the full amount. In other cases, there might be a change in circumstances that creates a need for an even higher amount of alimony to be paid.

When such changes in circumstances occur, it is possible to obtain a modification of alimony. This occurs when the family court reviews the new circumstances of each party and decides to change the existing court order of spousal support. This can, however, be difficult to obtain without the help of a trained legal professional. Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. is a law firm that offers service to its clients from talented Queens family lawyers who fully understand the alimony modification process.

Filing a Petition of Modification

Once a person files a petition for modification of alimony, that individual must make sure that his or her ex-spouse is properly served with the petition and summons. The next step is the hearing, where each party is required to show proof of his or her income and expenses. The hearing is held before a Support Magistrate, who makes the ultimate decision of whether the court order will be changed.

There are many factors that can lead to a modification. Here are a few examples: the payer or recipient becomes unable to work or has a decrease in income through no fault of his or her own, changes in child support make it easier of more difficult for the one of the ex-spouses to pay alimony, the recipient obtains a job that lowers his or her need for support, or the recipient gets re-married and therefore has less of a need for alimony.

Queens Family Law Attorney Serving as Your Advocate

By working with a knowledgeable family law attorney, you can greatly increase your chances of success with your alimony modification. Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P's legal team can help you best argue your case for or against a modification of spousal maintenance, helping you to better protect your future financial stability. Contact a Queens family lawyer from the law firm to get the high-quality assistance you're looking for! The firm assists individuals throughout the New York metropolitan area.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Attorney Web Design
Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. - Queens Divorce Attorney
Located at 214-08 41st Avenue Bayside, NY 11361. View Map
Phone: (718) 414-6757 | Local Phone: (718) 229-1904.
Find us on FaceBook Follow us on Twitter View our Google+ Profile Get Linked in with Pollak & Slepian, L.L.P. View our Avvo Profile